Wednesday, October 28, 2009

the new country song in the early morning

the crew was woken up around 0600 am to respond to a rollover off of the highway about 70 minutes out from their station. They hurriedly got up , laced up thier boots and stepped out into the freezing desert air. With lights on and sirens going they made thier way down the empty highway looking here and there for the mysterious rolled over vechicle. with in 40 minutes this crew discovers a new problem, the dashbaord of thier ambulance started flickering, lights and all..and to thier dismay thier ambulance came to a hault on the side of the road. battery dead and smoke pouring out of the back. The howling wind and the non-heated icey cold ambulance were thier only companions as they discovered that thier contact radio didn't work in the middle of nowhere.
I guess I have never given verizon a chance before but the "network" did pull through and we were able to inform our dispatch of the situation by using our cell phone. we were informed that a tow truck was on its way and that another unit was enroute to the call.
so my precepter has an idea to put the unit in nuteral and coast farther down the highway.. of coarse this works...he is the smart man...we coast down to a old closed fire station and wait..and do i mean wait... wait.
....the unit is dead, therefore the radio doesn't work and so our time is accopenied by the icey cold wind, my emt partner telling us stories of old men getting hit by frozen paintballs, and me and my precepter debating over how many kyotes it would take to drag me off... here and there my precepter would cry "i want some coffee"...after waiting about 35 minutes the tow truck comes..as he is loaded up the unit we decide that this would be a good country song. " the dog died, the house burned down, my wife left me, and my ambulance died on me on the highway." finaly we start making the trip back to station....as we pull in to station the wind kicks up and now the debate it weather it would be easier for the wind to drag be off then kyotes to.
that is my morning..how is yours?

1 comment: